Monday, July 4, 2011

Interac Application and Interview Process

After getting an offer from both Gaba and Interac, I chose Interac in order to be a larger part of the community.  I mentioned this at the interview and it seemed to go over well :)  It's also something I fully believe in.  I didn't want to be another eikaiwa monkey, I honestly wanted to embed myself into this new environment.  Since I'm working for Interac, I'd rather not spill the beans on the whole process, but I can provide a timeline for other anxious Interac applicants, and some general advice.


General Advice
Whereas I saw many poster-boys being offered positions at AEON, I was quite surprised at Interac's interview.  Most people had some teaching experience and most seemed to have passed the grammar test with ease.  You must be professional, have a good grasp of English grammar and spelling, know your manners, and above all BE FLEXIBLE.  Seriously you guys, if you want a job and they ask if you're okay with driving, why would you say no?  Don't ask for a specific location beyond urban/suburban/rural (you should still say any is fine, though).  Don't say you don't want to drive or bike or walk.  Don't tell them you want just high schools, etc.  Essentially, state preferences but always say, "But really I'd be happy in any case."  If you aren't happy being flexible, don't apply, you're just wasting time and space for others!

Why is flexibility so important?  Interac has no idea where you'll be placed.  BOEs fight over contracts till the last minute and many people receive a placement only to be changed en route to Japan or during training.  If you aren't flexible, how can they place you amidst a roiling sea of ever-changing contracts?

And finally, if you get to the seminar stage, you have a good chance of being offered a job.  Their interview process is much more discriminating, which also explains the quality of the applicants I met at the seminar!

Reasons for Choosing Interac
  • The entire application process was filled with very kind people, starting with Melody Manuel (who deserves a gold star!)  
  • They have sent consistent e-mails to keep me up-to-date, even ifthe majority are automated.
  • The interview process was much more in-depth than AEON's or Gaba's, resulting in better qualified applicants at the end.
  • Interac helps you find housing and acts as a guarantor--almost as good as AEON's housing policy.
  • Week long training plus later training.  I think this is a good thing and helps you become a better teacher--and the initial week far exceeds the training time of AEON or Gaba.
  • "Part of a Community" -- I really took this to heart.  Instead of being a businessman, you really are a part of the community.
  • Hours:  Still 29.5, however an ALT's actual work hours are much closer to this compared to an eikaiwa worker.
  • Other perks... ?  Transportation is paid for, Interac finds you a car if you need one (you still pay to lease it), might inherit past ALT's stuff, possible no key money IF you're inheriting an old ALT's apartment.
Timeline
04/01/11 - Registered at www.interacnetwork.com
04/04/11 - Invited to a phone screening.  This email went straight to spam so I didn't make the appointment until...
04/09/11 - Appointment made with Melody Manuel.
04/12/11 - Phone interview with Melody.  She was a very lovely woman and very kind!  Don't stress :)
04/12/11 - Invited to the May 21st Interac seminar in Chicago
0x/xx/11 - In this interim period, I do the AEON and Gaba interviews and gather my documents for Interac.
05/21/11 - Interview takes place.  I didn't do very well... but I passed :)
05/23/11 - All required documents submitted to Interac online by this date.  Pictures were 2" x 2" but still accepted--I submitted these at the interview.
06/01/11 - Transcript (the only mail-in item) was received. Portfolio sent to Interac's Tokyo office.
06/03/11 - Finally!  Offered Employment for Fall 2011.  I accepted :)  If you failed the interview, this'll be your notice.
06/15/11 - Asked to fill out an online resume on Interac's site.  (Yes, another one).  This one, however, acts more like a profile for schools to review.  If interested, they'll bid on your contract.  At least I think that's how this works...
07/03/11 - Certificate of Eligibility (COE) application was submitted on the 23rd, says Interac.  I should receive it around July 27th.
07/21/11 - Certificate of Eligibility (COE) arrived in the mail.  You trade this in for a VISA at the Japanese Consulate.  Unfortunately, I don't have my placement--or departure date.
07/25/11 - Told by Interac that I have been deferred until April 2012 because they hired too many overseas applicants...

What an anti-climactic ending to my list.