Thursday, July 21, 2011

Permanent Resident Living Abroad

For those who don't know, I'm a U.K. citizen living in the U.S. as a permanent resident.  I have a greencard which allows me to live and work here.  Unfortunately, I never became a U.S. citizen so I've faced quite a few hurdles in order to get myself to Japan.  I'd like to cover some of these for anyone who may be in a similar situation.




LESSON 01:  YOU WILL LOSE ELIGIBILITY FOR CITIZENSHIP
The U.S. requires a permanent resident to reside within the U.S. for five years before becoming eligible for citizenship.  I've been here eighteen!  Unfortunately, a permanent residant cannot leave the U.S. for more than six months without losing continuity.  This means after six months abroad, your residency counter resets... and you need to wait another five years in the U.S. before becoming eligible for citizenship again.

LESSON 02:  YOU CANNOT STAY ABROAD FOR MORE THAN A YEAR
If a permanent resident leaves the United States for more than one year, the U.S. assumes you have abandoned your residency.  You will lose your greencard and, I assume, any property in the U.S. defaults to the government.  There is one exception.


LESSON 03:  APPLY FOR A RE-ENTRY PERMIT
Apply for a re-entry permit (Form I-131) if you intend to stay abroad for more than a year.  This costs $360 PLUS $85 biometric fee.  You will be required to travel to the closest USCIS office and give biometrics.  They recommend you submit this 60 days before departure.  In my case, it was 30 days... we'll see whether or not I can make it in time.

LESSON 04:  BRITS GET SHAFTED
Okay, this isn't that important, but we have to spend $35 for a VISA fee.  Americans don't--nor do many European countries.  I have no idea why the U.K. isn't exempt and there may be complicated politics involved, but I think it's pretty lame.

LESSON 05:  MAINTAINING A U.S. FOOTPRINT
Last lesson... it will definitely help your cause if you maintain a U.S. footprint.  This largely means credit.  This also applies to ANYONE leaving the U.S. for an extended period of time, but particularly to legal aliens.  By maintaining a footprint through credit cards, taxable property, and a permanent address (a friend's or parent's home), you can better argue your case if the U.S. government questions your residency.  This ESPECIALLY applies to those with a re-entry VISA staying abroad for 1+ years.